In November 2004, the NZ Government established a national relay service for the New Zealand Deaf, deafblind, hearing impaired and speech impaired communities.
Such a service enables people in these communities to keep in touch by phone without needing the assistance of friends or family.
Sprint Relay, which provides relay services in many states throughout US, was contracted to introduce Relay services into New Zealand.
The service is operated from a call centre in Auckland that supports the traditional text based relay, speech to speech services, Video Relay and CapTel services.
The traditional services operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
VRS operates 8am to 8pm weekdays.
CapTel operates 7am – 10pm seven days a week, 365 days a year.
Video-Assisted STS is available Monday through Friday 7.30am – 9pm and Saturday 9.00am – 5.00pm.
We offer specialised services to help each of the communities we support. For Deaf people we can arrange for a TTY (Text Telephone) to be provided free of charge. We also offer the Video Relay Service (VRS) for Deaf people who prefer to communicate using New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL).
If you’d like to know anything more about the New Zealand Relay Service or would like to apply for a TTY, or to use the Video Relay Service, please contact our Helpdesk on 0800 4 713 713 (TTY) or 0800 4 715 715 (Voice). Alternatively you can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Zealand Relay Service (NZ Relay) is a telecommunications service for people who are Deaf, hearing impaired, Deaf-blind, or speech impaired. You can use NZ Relay to make telephone calls to family, businesses and government departments – anyone who has a phone.
- Relay services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
- CapTel is available 7am – 10pm daily.
- Video-Assisted STS is a restricted service, only available Monday to Friday 7.30am to 9:00pm; Saturday 9:00am to 5:00pm and closed on public holidays.
- Video Relay Service (VRS) is a restricted service, only available Monday to Friday 8:00am to 8:00pm and closed on public holidays.
Accurate and transparent
- The Relay Assistant (RA) voices everything you type and types everything you say.
- The Video Interpreter (VI) voices everything you sign and signs everything that is said.
Private and confidential
- All New Zealand Relay calls are strictly private.
- When you hang up, the entire conversation is automatically erased at the Relay Call Centre.
Note: You will have to pay separately for your telephone line rental.
- There is no call surcharge for relay assistance.
- Local and national landline calls are free of charge.
Please use the TexMee App for Relay services on mobile devices.
Because if you're on a mobile device and wish to use relay services, you must use the TexMee App.
If you don't have the TexMee app installed, click on the download button below to get started.
To learn more about TexMee and how to use it, please click here.