Speech to Speech
Speech to Speech (STS) enables a person with a speech impairment to communicate over the telephone using his or her own voice or a voice synthesizer.
STS calls can be made by anyone with or without a speech impairment, as long as one of the parties has a speech impairment.
Specially trained Relay Assistants (RA) provide the STS service by acting as the speech-impaired user's voice. The RA will listen and repeat the speech-impaired user's message to the other party as necessary.
NZ Relay's unparalleled equipment and exceptional RA training ensure that speech impaired users will be heard and understood.
All STS calls are strictly confidential.
Video Assisted (V-A) Speech to Speech:
The Video Assisted STS service is another option for speech-impaired telecommunication users to make relay calls to hearing persons via a STS RA using both a telephone line and video communication equipment (using a web camera and skype software).
Hours of Operation:
- A speech-impaired user will connect to a STS RA via the NZ TRS speech to speech toll free number (0800 8 715 715)
- Once the telephone connection with the STS RA has been established, the speech-impaired user may choose to communicate the request for Video Assisted STS and give their Skype screen name to the STS RA.
- The Video Assisted STS RA will initiate a one-way video connection with the STS user via Skype.
- The STS user will provide the phone number of a hearing person to the Video Assisted STS RA
- The Video Assisted STS RA will then place a telephone call to the hearing person using standard STS RA procedures. The Video Assisted STS RA will be able to see the STS customer via video to use visual cues during the conversation to improve the quality of the call over the standard speech to speech call.
- The STS user will then talk to the hearing person on the telephone with the Visual Assisted STS RA providing support as requested.
Monday through Friday 7:30 am - 9:00 pm
Saturday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Closed all holidays except Auckland Anniversary.
Email Pre-Call Setup:
In your email you can include: The telephone number and name of the person you are wanting to call, special instructions, the subject of the call and if you wish to leave an answering machine message.
Introduction & Instructions
Video Assisted STS Introduction (Male)
Video Assisted STS Introduction (Female)
Please use the TexMee App for Relay services on mobile devices.
Because if you're on a mobile device and wish to use relay services, you must use the TexMee App.
If you don't have the TexMee app installed, click on the download button below to get started.
To learn more about TexMee and how to use it, please click here.